The mural consist of eight primary panels. Albert Runquist and his brother Arthur were at work on murals to be located in the library stairwells in February 1936. One of the murals by the Runquist brothers was completed by November 1936; the other in 1937. It is likely that the brothers collaborated on the creation of both works. See also the companion mural, Development of the Arts.
"Brothers Explain New Library Murals." Oregon Daily Emerald, October 22, 1937, 4.
Letter to Earl Pellett, November 21, 1936. Burt Brown Barker Archives. [States that one Runquist mural is finished; the second may proceed.]
FLOOR PLANS & ART GUIDE
The captions for the panels are from the letter "Mural by Arthur and Albert Runquist, 1937, Artists' Interpretation," written by Arthur Runquist for M. H. Douglass, University Librarian, October 10, 1938. This letter would have been written approximately one year after the murals were installed.