Frederick Alexander Cuthbert was born in Essex, Ontario, Canada, on May 7, 1902. The family moved to Muskego, Michigan in 1908. Cuthbert earned a Masters of Landscape Design from the University of Michigan in 1928 and soon after obtain a teaching position at Oregon Agricultural College (now Oregon State University). Ellis Lawrence, University of Oregon campus architect, hired Cuthbert as a landscape architect in 1932. In 1934 he joined the faculty of the School of Architecture and Allied Arts when the landscape architecture program transferred from Oregon State University to the University of Oregon. He served as dean of the School of Architecture and Allied Arts in addition to being program head for landscape architecture. During World War II, Cuthbert was on leave to hold an administrative position with the National Housing Authority. Cuthbert retired from UO in 1971.
Cuthbert's landscape designs include the Memorial Quadrangle and Women's Quadrangle of the University of Oregon, both of which are on the National Register of Historic Places, the Eugene Mall, and the Oregon State Capitol. He also designed Alton Baker Park in Eugene and the Cuthbert Amphitheater in the park is named in his honor. Fred Cuthbert died on September 14, 1978.
FLOOR PLANS & ART GUIDE
CAMPUS LANDSCAPE PLAN
The Campus Heritage Landscape Plan, coordinated by Christine Thompson and Christopher Ramey, and produced with the support of a Getty Foundation Campus Heritage Grant, documents the historic campus built environment and the roles of its creators.