Artist: Lydia Herrick Hodge, Oregon Ceramic Studio.
Date: 1938. Medium: ceramics. Location: Browsing Room.
The Oregon Ceramic Studio was founded in 1937 by Lydia Herrick Hodge and financed with WPA funding to provide support for artists in the Depression. The volunteer-run studio site offered a place for exhibits, art sales, educational programs. The studio also provided the largest kiln on the West Coast. The home of the Oregon Ceramic Studio was on Southwest Corbett Avenue and was designed by H. Abbott Lawrence. In 1965 the Oregon Ceramic Studio became the Contemporary Crafts Gallery; in 2002, the Contemporary Crafts Museum & Gallery; and in 2007, the Museum of Contemporary Craft. In 2007, the museum moved to a location in Portland’s Pearl District. The museum was integrated into the Pacific Northwest College of Art's Center for Contemporary Art & Culture in 2016.
FLOOR PLANS & ART GUIDE
“Ceramic Studio Sends Out Bids for Tea Opener.” Sunday Oregonian, November 13, 1936, 7.
Jones, Catherine. “Open House to Be Held from 10 A. M. to 5 P.M..” Sunday Oregonian, November 13, 1938, 8.
"Library purchases two Ceramic bowls for Browsing Room." Oregon Daily Emerald, November 10, 1939, 4.
"Welcome to the Pacific Northwest College of Art." Pacific Northwest College of Art. Web. http://www.pnca.edu/