Artist: Louis Utter Pritchard.
Date: 1937. Medium: carved stone. Dimensions: 4 ft. x 4 ft. x 2 ft. Location: Unknown.
The original location of Cougar and Cub was on the ledge of an enclosed patio on the roof of the east wing of the library. This patio was accessed from the main corridor on the second floor. A companion piece, Deer and Fawn, was located on the opposite side, on the roof of the west wing of the library. While the Deer and Fawn still exists, the Cougar and Cub disappeared, reportedly removed by vandals.
FLOOR PLANS & GUIDE
"Cougar and Cub." Old Oregon (August-September 1937): cover.
Douglass, Matthew Hale. The University of Oregon Library Building
Evans, Lew. "Art Work in New Library Product of Delicate Work by Grads and Professors." Oregon Daily Emerald, May 19, 1937. The article identifies the Arnold B. Hall memorial gates and companion plaques by O. B. Dawson; the frieze of heads by Edna Dunberg and Louise Utter Pritchard; the balcony sculptures by Pritchard; and the wood carvings by Arthur Clough and the Gypsy Craftsmen in the Upper Division Reading Room. The article notes that in the stairwells are four open blank frames. The two hand-lettered murals by N. B. Zane are described and it is noted that the Runquist Brothers are working on the larger spaces.
Emerson, Kim, "University of Oregon Library and Memorial Quadrangle