This work has been removed from public view since September 2020. Click here to learn more.
This guide contains images of the original mural. This work depicts racist ideals, which UO Libraries strongly oppose. The images are provided here as historical documents for study.
The mural consist of eight vignettes. It is signed "Arthur Runquist" bottom right. Arthur and his brother Albert were at work in February 1936 on the murals to be located in the stairwells of the library. One of the murals by the Runquist brothers was completed by November 1936; the other in 1937. It is likely that the brothers collaborated on the creation of both works.
"Brothers Explain New Library Murals." Oregon Daily Emerald, October 22, 1937, 4.
Letter to Earl Pellett, November 21, 1936. Burt Brown Barker Archives. [States that one Runquist mural is finished; the second may proceed.]
FLOOR PLANS & ART GUIDE
The captions for the panels are from the letter "Mural by Arthur and Albert Runquist, 1937, Artists' Interpretation," written by Arthur Runquist for M. H. Douglass, University Librarian, October 10, 1938. This letter would have been written approximately one year after the murals were installed.