Skip to main content
University of Oregon
UO Libraries

​Historic Knight Library: Art & Architecture

Guide to the art and architecture of the 1937 historic Knight Library, University of Oregon, Eugene.


A Message from Adriene Lim, Dean of Libraries and Philip H. Knight Chair


In 1990, the University of Oregon Library and Memorial Quadrangle were added to the National Register of Historic Places. On the UO campus, the following works are also listed on the National Register: Johnson Hall, the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art, and the Women's Memorial Quadrangle (Hendricks Hall, Gerlinger Hall, Susan Campbell Hall). Deady Hall and Villard Hall are jointly recognized as a National Historic Landmark

For more information on Oregon's historic works, consult the Oregon Historic Sites Database.


On May 3, 1937, a new library opened at the University of Oregon, and on October 23, 1937, the building was formally dedicated. The building is a monument to the Depression Era public works programs which financed its construction and remains one of Oregon's best examples of integrated art and architecture.

This guide provides a foundation of historical information for the additional study and contemplation of the historic building and its art.

"Altogether, the feeling is that the University received a good deal for the money invested; much pride and satisfaction is being taken in it."
      -- Matthew Hale Douglass, Librarian, The University of Oregon Library Building, 1937

Chat Email Phone Text

Charlie Chaplin, Mural, Knight Library

Charlie Chaplin

Development of the Arts

Snake design, gate latch

Snake design, gate latch
Arnold Bennett Hall Gates

Art Deco fan motif

Entrance Hall

Art Deco Rugs

Browsing Room

Deer & Fawn, Detail

South Reading Room

Balcony, detail

Library exterior

Snail, detail

Entrance Doors


University of Oregon Libraries
1501 Kincaid Street Eugene, OR
T: (541) 346-3053
F: (541) 346-3485
Make a Gift