Find State Government Publications using Google
One way is to use Google Advanced Search
- Enter your topic's keywords and then, in the Search by Site or Domain box, type: .[two-letter state abbreviation].us-- e.g. .or.us (Oregon) or .tn.us (Tennessee). For all the two-letter abbreviations, see here.
- More and more, city and state governments are adopting the .gov domain name, e.g. Indiana: www.in.gov, so you probably should try both
- In Oregon, as in many other states, the main pages are under the .gov domain. However, many documents (.pdf and .doc) will still be under the old .[xx].us domain
- Searching on the .xx.us domain will also bring up city and county government documents for that state.
- You can search for city and county governments using the domain: .ci.[cityname].[xx].us or .co.[county name].[xx].us, e.g. ci.seattle.wa.us for the city of Seattle, or co.lane.or.us for Lane County, OR.