How to create a post?
Posts are used to publish blog entries, news, or updates. To create a post, go to your WordPress Dashboard.
1. In the Navigation menu of the Dashboard, select Posts → Add New to begin writing your post.
Alternatively, you can hover your cursor over the Add New button at the top of the Dashboard screen and select Post. You will be redirected to Add New Post window.
2. Type the name of your post in the Add Title field.
3. After you add the title, the permalink to your post will automatically appear under the Title field (it might take some time). Press the Edit button next to the permalink to edit it (by default the link contains the title of your post. You might want to shorten it to make it more user-friendly).
4. Start typing your text in the Visual Editor Area.
Click on the drop-down menu, available in the toolbar on the top of the visual editor. Select different Headings styles to create hierarchy in your text. Use paragraph style for writing paragraphs. Use numbered or bulleted lists option to create lists. By utilizing the functions available in the text editor toolbar you are ensuring basic accessibility.
Image of the Add New Post window
5. After you finished writing your post, assign category and tags to it.
Categories and tags are two main ways to organize and group your content on the website. Categories are good for broad grouping of topics (for example, Announcements, Events, Hiring). Tags are keywords to describe your content in more detail (for example, the posts in the Events category might have the following tags: workshop, presentation, conference, etc).
Go to the Categories sidebar, which is on the right side of the screen. Select the category or add the new one. If you don't assign the category to your post, WordPress will mark your post as Uncategorized. Type the tags you want to assign to your post in the Tags sidebar and click the Add button.
6. Go to the Publish sidebar on the right side of the Dashboard screen. In the Publish sidebar you can:
How to insert images into posts and pages?
1. In the Dashboard Navigation click on the All Posts/All Pages. You will see the list of all the created posts/pages.
2. Press Edit under the post/page you want to insert image into.
3. In the Edit Post/Page window go to the Visual Editor Area and put the cursor where you want your image to appear.
4. Click the Add Media button on the left top of the Visual Editor.
Image of the Add New Post window with the highlighted Add Media button
5. In the Add Media window you can upload the images from your computer or use the images which you previously uploaded to WordPress.
6. Once you selected or uploaded your image, you will see a checkbox next to the thumbnail confirming your selection. On the right side of the screen you will see an Attachment Details pane.
Image of the Add Media window
7. On the top of the Attachment Details pane there is an information about selected image - file name, uploading date, file size and image dimensions in pixels. Under information about the image you can see two action links - Edit Image and Delete Permanently.
8. In the Attachment Details pane, you can also edit the information which is associated with an image.
9. After you edited the attachment details press the Insert into Post button.
How to edit already inserted image?
1. Click on the image. Next to the image you will see a toolbar, which has the following options:
Image of the New Post window with inserted image.
How to embed a video into a post or page?
One of the ways to embed video into post or page is to use visual editor in your Dashboard. Here we will demonstrate how to embed the video from YouTube, but the the embedding from other video sharing platforms is similar.
1. Go to YouTube or another streaming platform and click on the Share button under the video.
Image of the YouTube video with highlighted Share button
2. The window with sharing options will appear. Select the Embed option. By default the embedded video will be played from the beginning. If you want to embed the part of the video, check the box Start at and put the time from the video when you want your video to start.
Image of the YouTube sharing options with highlighted Embed option and Start at option
3. The Embed Video window will appear. This window contains the Embed code and Embed options. Click on the Copy button to select and copy the embed code. The code will be copied to your Clipboard.
Image of the Embedded Video window with highlighted embed code
4. Return to your WordPress Dashboard. Create or open the post/page you want to embed your video into.
5. Click on the Text Editor tab.
Image of the Edit Page window with a highlighted Text Editor tab.
6. Paste the embed code to the Text Editor window. You can adjust the width and height of the video by changing the numerical values in the embed code.
Image of the Text editor with the embed code
7. If you click on the Visual Editor Tab you will be able to see the embedded video. You can also add necessary text in the visual editor tab.
Image of the Visual editor with the embed video
8. After you finished editing your post/page click Publish or Save Draft on the right sidebar.
How to embed a document into a post or page?
1. In the Navigation menu of the Dashboard, select Posts → Add New (or Pages → Add New) to begin writing your post or page.
If you want to add a document to the already existing post or page, click on the All Posts/All Pages in the Dashboard Navigation. You will see a list of all the created posts/pages. Press Edit under the post/page you want to insert an image into.
2. Click the Add Document button on the left top of the Visual Editor.
Image of the Add New Post window with the highlighted Add Document button
3. After you click the Add Document button, the window with different options for adding document will appear.
Image of the Add Document window with different options for adding a document
4. Select the Upload Files tab to upload a document from your computer. Press the Select Files button to open a window with the files on your computer or drag and drop a document directly to the Upload Files window.
5. Once you selected or uploaded your document, you will see a checkbox next to the thumbnail confirming your selection. On the right side of the screen, you will see an Attachment Details pane.
7. On the top of the Attachment Details pane, there is information about the selected document - file name, uploading date, and file size. Under information about the image, you can see Delete Permanently action link, which allows you to delete the selected document from the WordPress Media Library.
8. In the Attachment Details pane, you can also edit the information which is associated with the selected document.
9. After you made necessary edits in the Attachment Details, press the Select button on the bottom right corner to proceed.
10. The window with Advanced Options will appear. You can leave it blank for default settings. The window with Advanced Options allows you to make the following edits:
Image of the Advanced Options window for embedding a document
11. Press the Insert button on the bottom right to embed the document into a post or page.
12. In the Visual Editor Area, you will see an embed code for the document. This means that the document was embedded in your post (or page).
Image of the embed code of the document in the Visual Editor Area
13. Go to the Publish sidebar on the right side of the Dashboard screen. In the Publish sidebar you can:
14. On the image below you can see how the embedded document looks on the website when published.
Image of the embedded document on the website
Web accessibility checklist