The following questions will help determine what digitization and streaming options are available for a personal copy of a commercially produced VHS tape.
- Is it free of copyright restriction?
- if yes...library staff can digitize and upload the entire content to a Canvas course site
- Is the title available in a library streaming video database, e.g., Kanopy Docuseek2, etc.?
- if yes...link to the online video in a Canvas course site
- Is a library DVD copy available by searching the LibrarySearch catalog?
- Is it available for purchase as a DVD or streaming video?
- Is only 10% sufficient?
- if yes...the library can digitize and upload up to 10% of the total video (with a maximum of 500 MB) to a Canvas course, as long as the tape does not have copy protection.
If no to all of the above...
Currently, the UO Libraries cannot copy and upload the entire content of copyrighted videos to Canvas course sites without violating copyright law.
For more help, contact a subject specialist librarian or staff in the Center for Media and Educational Technology (CMET).